Old 17-08-2015, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any use for overgrown courgettes?

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 17/08/2015 22:13, Christina Websell wrote:
"Fran Farmer" wrote in message
On 17/08/2015 5:09 PM, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on
the
compost heap, any ideas please?

Chooks adore them. Do you know anyone with hens?

That's a last resort. I have hens and they do love overgrown courgettes.
Grate them into omelettes. Use besan flour with grated courgettes to
make
fritters. Fill them with mince and bake them.. Slice them & quarter the
slices, freeze for biryani, or stir fries later.

Why not let one or two grow to full size and ripen, a good winter veg.

David, no one seems to know how to cook nowadays. If I presented my young
sister in law with a marrow, she wouldn't know what to do with it. She
hadn't eaten swede until a month ago. She wasn't keen. Shortly I will make
her eat broad beans for the first time.
I've told her she must increase her palate from only peas and carrots. Meat
wise, more than chicken or turkey into diced pork. Beef is a step too far
atm, as is lamb.
Myself, I eat almost anything. Except tripe and I don't fancy squid
either.