Old 18-08-2015, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Judith is offline

Default Tomatoes: broken shoot - mending - grafting

Sitting next to tomato plants (outside) this last week. Suddenly I hear a noise
from the plants - no idea what it was. When I looked one of the side shoots
bearing tomatoes had pulled down from the weight and almost broken completely
off. I pulled up shoot with string to take the weight - and then "grafted" the
shoot back on to where it had broken from: string and duct tape to secure back
in place. I was not too hopeful.

But: success: there is no sign of the leaves on the shoot wilting so probably
will be OK.

The reason the side shoot had almost snapped off: the number of tomatoes it was
bearing: 52 !! (Sungold)

I had had one almost break off last year in greenhouse: I thought a bird had
got in and broken it: but perhaps it was the weight of the trusses again.

Reference earlier thread re grafting: I think I was able to "graft" back on in
exactly the same place that it had come away from.

Moral of story: support the load on the stalks if heavy croppers - and don't be
shy of trying to "graft" back on.