Old 19-08-2015, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default perlite and mice

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:55:25 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Perlite is a volcanic glass, bloated at high temperatures, like
lightweight aggregate (Leca). I would be surprised if mice ate it, but
you never can tell with mice. The paper sacks themselves are likely to
be more nourishing and tasty, so you still might get holes where the
perlite runs out all over the floor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlite

Right, I do know it's not _actually_ styrofoam! But as you say, you
can never tell with mice, mine do tend to consume just about everything,
except coal, never known them to get into that.

The paper is I suppose as much or more of a problem as the perlite
itself: I've too much of it for them to make a real dent, but it is hard
to clean up. I'll put it on a palette and hope, I suppose, or try Jeff's
idea.

Thanks,

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy