Old 22-08-2015, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_11_] Ophelia[_11_] is offline

Default Any use for overgrown courgettes?

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2015 10:41:40 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:01:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

I associate tripe with post WWII food shortages and dehydrated mashed
potato POM.
IMO tripe is tasteless and has a slimy texture.

Here you go Martin:

http://www.regions-of-france.com/reg...od-gastronomy/
caen-tripes/

William the Conqueror's favorite dish, eh? Get cooking!

I hope you won't mind if I don't have any, I just ate.

I won't have any, I had more than enough in the 1940s.

"The French make great sauces to hide what they put in them." :-)

My mother and her sister loved tripe & onions in a sort of milk based
sauce but quite possibly because of WWll shortages as they were both
children during the war.
They used to get together every couple of months and cook it during the
70's "for a treat"
I was living at home at the time and I had to go out until it was over ;-)
It looks like bits of towelling, and that texture..urgh. Just can't do
it.

Having said that, most young people I know won't eat liver or kidney,
which I am fine with. I suppose it's the changing wealth of each
generation.
When I was a small child, chicken was a luxury food.

I was not born until well after the war but food shortages for so long
definitely left their scars on my grandparents, who had 4 children to
feed. My grandfather kept rabbits for the table, grew all his own
vegetables, gave up his egg allowance to rear poultry himself. He didn't
have room for a goat. He was a taciturn man and my mother often used to
say that he never showed any affection towards his children, he was very
strict, but he was born in 1902 and his own father was very harsh.
I absolutely loved him. My uncle says he was kind of startled by me as
his own children had been afraid of him and I was not. "Let me sit on
your foot, drandrad, and jump it up and down" I would apparently say aged
two.

I toddled around after him when he was gardening for years. Must have
been irritating. However, he left me a love of it. He was very
misunderstood. He had to work away in the 30's (he was a carpenter) to get
a job to support his children during the depression, and my grandmother
never forgave him for leaving her alone. What else what he supposed to
do?

I hope you enjoy this story. More to come if you want.

Yes please!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/