Old 23-08-2015, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_3_] Pam Moore[_3_] is offline

Default Blueberries

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 19:27:39 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

My blueberry plant is fruiting well. I seem to be picking the
ripe berries every couple of day, but that is not doing my back
much good!

Do buleberries stay ripe on the plants for a week or so (like
currants) or do they go squashy and bad (like raspberries)? I
would rathr only pick once week for a longer time, than several
short periods.

My blueberries were finished a month ago. They do stay ripe but not
squashy for some time. I've found how well they stay ecible in the
fridge for ages.
I don't know what variety mine is but the plant has grown tall over
the years with woody stems and the fruit is at chest height.
I guess though, that if you leave them on too long the birds may get
them. Last year I left mine a bit too long, and found the whole plant
had been stripped overnight. I hope it was birds and not " 2-legged
rats". The plant is right outside my kitchen window in full view of
the road, and I cannot imagine anyone standing there picking every
berry but I have never seen a bird on it at any other time.