Old 29-08-2015, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default aphids on tropical milkweed

Once upon a time on usenet songbird wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
The aphids on the tropical have just exploded in the past week and
the plant is covered with them. What can I use to kill them without
harming the butterflies? Soap? Half-strength dormant oil spray?

for one plant, soft brush them off or use a
spray of water, see if any remain after that
and then hit them with a weak soapy water solution
to drown them. keep an eye out for ants that may
be "herding" them. repeat as needed...

That's exactly what I do. Soapy solution is approximately 1% dish washing
liquid (10mls to a litre). Much stronger makes the milkweed grow twisted and
stunted.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."