Old 29-08-2015, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any use for overgrown courgettes?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 18:29:29 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On 18 Aug 2015 10:41:40 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:01:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

I associate tripe with post WWII food shortages and dehydrated mashed
potato POM.
IMO tripe is tasteless and has a slimy texture.

Here you go Martin:

http://www.regions-of-france.com/reg...od-gastronomy/
caen-tripes/

William the Conqueror's favorite dish, eh? Get cooking!

I hope you won't mind if I don't have any, I just ate.

I won't have any, I had more than enough in the 1940s.

"The French make great sauces to hide what they put in them." :-)

My mother and her sister loved tripe & onions in a sort of milk based
sauce
but quite possibly because of WWll shortages as they were both children
during the war.

I was a child during the war. Rationing lasted until 1954???
My mother made a similar sauce, but I still hated the tripe.
Looking back wonder why people didn't just become vegetarian.

I wasn't here during the war. I remember asking my grandmother about the
war and where I was, she said "you were just a seed in God's garden then"
I remember sitting in front of a plate full of lambs heart. I said No.
Absolutely not. I refused to eat it and stayed there at the table for a
long time as I was not allowed to get down until I'd eaten all my dinner. I
never did eat it.
My grandmother was really annoyed. I just stayed there for ever until
eventually I was allowed to get down.
I still had to say "Thank you for my good dinner" otherwise I would have
been there yet.
When I was about 4, I hardly ate at all, apparently. So my grandfather
would take a slice of bread and squash some of his dinner on it, mashed
potatoes and gravy, and I would eat it because it was his.
He never got the chance to do with his own children, he had to work away
when they were small and they were always afraid of him. I actually think
(looking back as an adult) my grandmother encouraged that.
My youngest uncle said he was charmed by me as I wasn't scared of him one
bit. I kind of gardened with him every day. Must have been a huge nuisance.
He once said "you see that boiler in the greenhouse?" Yes. "well, there's
a spider as big as a robin in there.."
I blame him for my fear of big spiders.