Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Removing roots of bushes

On 01/09/2015 17:59, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

/Remove-Tree-Stumps

You need a grub axe, grub hoe or mattock. Something like this
http://tinyurl.com/ox2kvgk or this http://oi41.tinypic.com/2qnd1d1.jpg
or this http://tinyurl.com/p75jq8n . A few quick swings and the roots
of shrubs of the size you describe are soon removed.

Thanks, that sounds like a possibility.

+1 for a mattock
Mine was purchased from toolsatan

http://tinyurl.com/pkx3fzx

As the description says: "Horizontal chisel end for grubbing, vertical
chisel end for chopping."

I've had mine for a couple of years but its something I wish I'd known
about decades ago. It will still be hard work but a LOT easier than any
other man effort method I've tried for getting medium size shrubs out of
the ground.

You will find it easier if you sharpen the business end of the blade.