Old 05-09-2015, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default perlite and mice

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 17:36:16 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

At the risk of being unpopular, here in the Uk you can adopt from some
of the charities what is called "a working cat" They are usually
ex-feral kittens which have been tamed, but feel more comfortable living
in, say, your tool shed rather than inside. Provide them with a comfy
bed there and feed them twice a day and your mouse problems will be
over.
I don't know if that would be feasible for you or even that such a
scheme exists in France.

Because spaying a female cat is quite expensive here, most farmers don't
do it. Instead they drown the kittens or whack them. It's not very nice.

Kittens are easy to get hold of and as I've explained to you in another
thread we have one, now 12 but still very active. She kills about 2-3
mice/voles per day. Those are the ones I know about. We live in the
deep country and there is an endless supply of them. She is more
interested in hunting outside than in, which seems to be typical of the
largely outdoor cats around here.

How many per day does your cat catch?

In any case there is nothing comfortable about the storage area, it is a
400 yr old stone building, unheated and extremely damp. Although the cat
sometimes naps in the old hay loft, I doubt very much that any cat would
want to live in the downstairs rooms.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy