Old 11-09-2015, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Tomato plant in a pot

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 18:39:59 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 9/10/2015 4:44 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Frank wrote:

Deer have forced me to planting my tomatoes in pots.

Never heard of a fence?!?!?

Selective reading.

You left "shade" out of my reply.

I grow just about all my veggies in tubs.

You need good size ones, such as folks use to plant patio evergreens.
Decide carefully where you want it to be, as they are quite heavy to
move around after they are filled.

Make sure there are drainage holes (some tubs some with them merely
indicated in the plastic and need to be drilled out) and layer the
bottom of the pot with stones or broken crockery to provide drainage.

You can use garden soil if yours is in decent shape, or create a mix,
or buy a bag or two from a big box store. Use common sense, tweak it a
bit with some compost or other decent organics.

Insofar as preventing blossom end rot - well, that can certainly be
calcium deficiency, or it can be the variety of tomato you are
growing, also. All my tubs have the same soil mix. I had a hard time
with a couple of new-to-me heirlooms this year that got blossom rot.
None of the other pots suffered, so I tend to believe some varieties
are more susceptible. Live and learn.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2yoyjjk.jpg