Old 11-09-2015, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tomato plant in a pot

Boron Elgar wrote:
Frank wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Frank wrote:

Deer have forced me to planting my tomatoes in pots.

Never heard of a fence?!?!?

I grow just about all my veggies in tubs.

Tubs will do nothing to protect plants from foraging deer unless
fenced, in fact raised plants make browsing more comfortable for
deer... you obviously have no deer.

You need good size ones, such as folks use to plant patio evergreens.
Decide carefully where you want it to be, as they are quite heavy to
move around after they are filled.

There are planter dollies available at low cost or it's easy to make
ones own.

Make sure there are drainage holes (some tubs come with them merely
indicated in the plastic and need to be drilled out) and layer the
bottom of the pot with stones or broken crockery to provide drainage.

Plastic tubs don't permit air to reach roots, use unglazed pottery or
wooden containers. It's very easy to build ones own wooden tubs
(cubic or rectangular) and attach casters/wheels at each corner I
much prefer wooden planters, large plastic and pottery tends to crack,
not only from the weight of wet soil but more from the pressure
exerted be expanding roots. When constructing wooden planters leave a
gap between boards to allow for expansion and for air to reach roots.
Cedar privacy fencing lumber makes great planters, is reasonably
priced, and won't rot for many years.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2yoyjjk.jpg

Do not place plants close to a wall that receives direct sun or the
plants will cook.