Old 12-09-2015, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Making a sempervivum sphere- wet or dry foam core?

On 12/09/15 13:07, miljee wrote:
I am going to try to make a sempervivum sphere like 'How To Make a
Succulent Kissing Ball | Apartment Therapy'
(http://tinyurl.com/qadchms)

the ones on this site^.

I will use two wire hanging baskets wired together, and plan on growing
the sempervivums into sphagnum moss.

Obviously, if one used potting mix inside it'd get very heavy, so my
plan is to use a spherical core of foam. You can buy 'wet' foam (oasis)
or dry (presumably, polystrene). They cost about the same.

My question is, which should I get do you think? The wet will obviously
provide more moisture for the plants- but could that be too much? And
would that make the whole arrangement very heavy once water-logged?

Thanks for any advice!

Whatever you choose, you don't have to make the sphere solid. The
sempervivums will grow in a few cm of oasis, sphagnum, or whatever you
choose. The inside can be made from a ball of polystyrene, which will
drastically reduce the weight.

--

Jeff