Old 12-09-2015, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Saved Pea seed

On 12/09/2015 21:41, Gary Woods wrote:
David Hill wrote:

In the past I've found I have had some sort of maggot in them over the
winter, now I am wondering if I should spray with fly spray and then
seal the bag they are all in.
Any ideas?

When a U.S. seedsman discovered weevil eggs in their pea seed, they sent
all the purchasers this:

We'll give you a refund.
You can just put the seed in a plastic bag in the freezer for a few days,
which will kill eggs and any larvae and won't hurt the seed at all.

I did the latter, and had no problems.

Seriously, freezing is a good preventive measure if the seeds are properly
dried. That's how very long term storage is done.

Thanks Gary