Old 15-09-2015, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Gardening season about over here ...

George Shirley wrote:
On 9/14/2015 9:05 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
And that's good , because I'll be waaaayyy too busy building the
second phase of our house in the woods . We broke ground for the
cellar under our new kitchen over the weekend . There is now a hole
14 feet wide , about 30 feet long , and varying from just over 5 to
just under 3 feet deep on the downhill side of the living room I
built a year and a half ago .

Sounds more like a crawl space Snag, even as short as I've become in
old age I would have a problem walking in there.

Are you going to cement it, use cinder blocks, or what, for the walls?
If I dug a hole that deep here I would have an indoor swimming pool.
What I need is a bigger pantry, these modern houses have "closets" in
the kitchen so, for more room, I turned the closet in my home office
into another small pantry but with better lighting. I miss my old
pantry in Louisiana, eight feet wide by ten feet long, all wire
shelving up to the ceiling and nearly touching the floor, now that
was a PANTRY.
Good luck on your building work. It's time to mow again, every time we
get a rain sprinkle the !@#$% San Augustine grass grows six inches.

We will also putting in a couple of broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage
plants. A volunteer cuke blessed us with a nice fruit yesterday, will
go good with today's lunch.

George

Due to the slope of the land we'll have a ceiling height of about 7'8" .
The living room floor on the downhill side is about 3' from the ground .
This cellar will serve as a main food storage area plus being a storm cellar
.. I also plan to reserve a corner for my reloading stuff and ammo storage .
We'll have 2 means of accessing the cellar , a set of sloped doors to the
outside and a ladder or very steep stairway to the kitchen area above -
probably into the upstairs pantry thru a hatch in the floor .

--
Snag