Old 15-09-2015, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Weedol 2

On 14/09/2015 08:24, Mervington wrote:
Martin Brown;1016081 Wrote:

I guess it depends a lot on how much you use in a season. I find a 250ml

bottle lasts me two or three years since I only really use it against
pernicious weeds like ground elder, thistles and bindweed.

They are all in retreat (although bindweed seeds germinate often).

Thanks for the comments.

I have been using glyphosate for years - which I buy in bulk. I have
an acre of garden

The problem with it is that is you 'misapply' it will kill what you
didn't want it to. The old Weedol was largely a foliage killer and the
odd splash was usually no tragedy.

That is the hazard of a powerful weedkiller. You have to chop anything
off that you accidentally hit with glyphosate fairly promptly.

It only kills green plant material though. I have never had bother near
trees, shrubs or other things with serious biomass. Holly and ivy
seedlings resist it almost completely when spraying off rough ground.

The replacement for the old Weedol is acetic acid based. In other
words, it is strong 'vinegar'. It can only be bought in liquid form,
and only in diy quantities.

I don't know where you go that idea from. The new Weedol's cover a huge
multitude of sins but AFAIK acetic acid isn't one of them. Indeed I'd be
surprised if any formulations even smelled slightly of it.

I think some of their Weedol weedkillers are now just another glyphosate
formulation. But Weedol2 is a diquat formulation:

http://www.bashplots.org.uk/uploads/...shh/Weedol.pdf

Paraquat proved to be too lethal to humans as well as weeds.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown