Old 15-09-2015, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gardening season about over here ...

On 9/15/2015 8:08 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
On 9/14/2015 9:05 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
And that's good , because I'll be waaaayyy too busy building the
second phase of our house in the woods . We broke ground for the
cellar under our new kitchen over the weekend . There is now a hole
14 feet wide , about 30 feet long , and varying from just over 5 to
just under 3 feet deep on the downhill side of the living room I
built a year and a half ago .

Sounds more like a crawl space Snag, even as short as I've become in
old age I would have a problem walking in there.

Are you going to cement it, use cinder blocks, or what, for the walls?
If I dug a hole that deep here I would have an indoor swimming pool.
What I need is a bigger pantry, these modern houses have "closets" in
the kitchen so, for more room, I turned the closet in my home office
into another small pantry but with better lighting. I miss my old
pantry in Louisiana, eight feet wide by ten feet long, all wire
shelving up to the ceiling and nearly touching the floor, now that
was a PANTRY.
Good luck on your building work. It's time to mow again, every time we
get a rain sprinkle the !@#$% San Augustine grass grows six inches.

We will also putting in a couple of broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage
plants. A volunteer cuke blessed us with a nice fruit yesterday, will
go good with today's lunch.

George

Due to the slope of the land we'll have a ceiling height of about 7'8" .
The living room floor on the downhill side is about 3' from the ground .
This cellar will serve as a main food storage area plus being a storm cellar
. I also plan to reserve a corner for my reloading stuff and ammo storage .
We'll have 2 means of accessing the cellar , a set of sloped doors to the
outside and a ladder or very steep stairway to the kitchen area above -
probably into the upstairs pantry thru a hatch in the floor .

Sounds like good deal. I grew up in SE Texas, where the water level is
about ten feet down and we get lots of rain. The high school I attended
had a "basement" that was above ground, bathrooms, boiler for heat in
the winter, and the janitors "office". Even that flooded during a
hurricane back in the mid-fifties. Some buildings in Houston proper have
basements but they also have some hellacious big pumps built into them
too. I'm pretty sure the eighteen inch in one day rain this past spring
flooded a lot of them as the rain flooded the freeway access roads, etc.
Several people drowned or disappeared because of that rain. Luckily
we're on somewhat higher ground so no flooding here.

Just got done doing the weed eating of the yard, wife is finishing the
mowing at this time. My bad legs don't let me do mowing, the mower goes
faster than I can walk. G About 74F out there right now but the sun
just came out from behind the clouds so will warm up quickly. Damned
grass grows so fast we're mowing almost weekly now, to bad we can't
graze it ourselves as it grows better than the gardens do.