Old 15-09-2015, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gardening season about over here ...

On 9/15/2015 10:33 AM, Derald wrote:
...a condition for which I do not envy you. Neither, the weather
that's due eventually in your neck of the woods. Although cowpeas,
okra, yellow squash and peanuts continue to forge ahead here, the fall
planting season is the beginning of the gardening year in these parts.

Yellow squash is doing well at the moment, first frost they're gone.
After the spring squash died we put two starts in one of the beds and
they're producing almost as much as the spring squash, family and
friends have been gifted with excess squash.

Preparing the bathtub to receive onion seeds later today or tomorrow.
Preparing beds for English peas, turnip and mustard greens to be planted
RSN. The mustards likely will be underplanted to (trellised) peas. If
the peas make it through February, they're usually good until March or
April, as are fall-planted greens, although fall planted mustard greens
frequently bolt in February. I'll begin replanting both in February or
early March. Anticipating (but not necessarily looking forward to)
cool-enough temps which favor carrots, broccoli, and the like. Tried
broccoli raab a season or two past and now must reserve a little
undisturbed bed space for a spot of it; not so, the bok choy—never again
for it.

Neither of us cares for mustard, got to much of it when very young. We
will probably seed carrots today, just looked out the kitchen door and
see wife is taking down tomato, eggplant, etc. plants to go to compost.
Sweet chiles will continue to make until frost, they're coming back
strong with the cooler weather.

DW&I enjoy the flower buds of commonly grown mustard greens and
find the broccoli raab blossoms complementary (and pretty good eating).

Never tried those, might give it a whirl next year.

Still enough warm weather left that I think I'll try one more late
planting of green beans, although, I may regret changing the normal
order of planting. Planting order directly effects bed availability for
succession crops while the weather's still cool.

Had not considered fall green beans, we generally don't get a freeze
until late October or early November, some years no freeze at all, we're
in USDA heat zone 8b.

Debating whether to
plant tomatoes for the fall. Floradale, better boy, early girl are
candidates, early girl being the obvious choice for a short-season crop
but not as flavorful as others. Not a big tomato enthusiast so they're
sort of on a "available space" footing as garden candidates. Fall
tomatoes, at least for me, are daughters (cuttings or layering) of
spring tomatoes and produce until December or January when chilly
temperatures eventually take them out. Starting fall tomatoes from
scratch is new to me.

We put up so many tomatoes this year we won't plant more, the small
tomatoes are blooming again and we will just let them continue.

The closest thing to a construction project here is the replacement
of "black" stovepipe with stainless steel. The pipe's on-hand but we're
too early in the year to fool with it yet. I don't usually make first
fire until November.

I want to replace our back fence, replace the cheap builder crap and put
in a cedar fence with steel posts. Of course I have to run it by the HOA
directors who will probably say no to galvanized steel posts, which last
much longer than treated wood here. Plus the fence can only be six feet
tall. I despise HOA's, generally the directors are not elected because
no one shows up for a vote, then you get the people who are afraid their
property values will go down. We've been here since 12/12 and the value
of our home has gone up about 40K already. To get out in the country
away from the builders we would have to move at least fifty miles which
would put us farther away from the grands and great grands, which
Grannie won't have.

We have a fireplace which we never use, gas heat and electric AC year
around at about $150 a month, beats chopping wood for this old man. G
Used to do that in my twenties and thirties but now I'm bumping 80 so
don't do dat.