Old 16-09-2015, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help Identifying Fungus

On 9/15/2015 10:12 PM, Dusty wrote:

wrote:
Hi All,
I have a strange circle in my garden where the grass does not grow very
well and a couple of times a year, brown fungus / mushrooms appear. Any
help in identifying what it is / the cause and how to get rid of it
would be much appreciated. Not sure if it matters, but we're based in
North Wales UK.
I've attached a couple of photos.
Thanks in advance.

I wasn't able to view your pictures.

Many years ago there were numerous round, brown spots in my yard.
After trying fertilizer and other suggested chemicals, that didn't work,
along with trying to dig out the spots and replace with new soil. I mixed
up a bucket of caustic soda and water, and poured on each spot. Within
two weeks the grass had grown thick and completely filled in the spots.
I don't know if it will work for you. I'm in west Texas. It might be worth a
try.

Where I live, the soil tends to be quite alkaline. Caustic soda would
make the soil to be even more alkaline, enough to kill any plants
growing in it.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see