Old 16-09-2015, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
News[_3_] News[_3_] is offline

Default Preparing ground for new lawn

In message , Janet
writes
In article ,
says...

We are unlikely to take any action until next year now,
but, when the soil is uncovered and a lawn laid, how do we prevent a
million old weed seeds from germinating and taking over? Would turf be
better than seed, or little difference, long term?

However, if you're going to lay turf for the lawn, remember most
weeds need light to germinate, so turf itself will defeat germination of
many seeds on or below the soil surface.

Thank you both for your comments, which make perfect sense. I must
admit that my first thought was turf, as that will help smother existing
seeds.
--
Graeme