Old 18-09-2015, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Using ferric phosphate on slugs

geordief wrote:

Has anyone experience with these? I have had a lot of trouble as they
are very quickly taken by the birds (and also mice I suspect)

huh, never used them, but have not ever heard
before of any creature being particularly
interested in eating them either...

My workaround is ,for now , to lay lengths of flat timber between the
rows, and put quite a lot of the pellets underneath.

sounds reasonable...

I seem to be having success this way as the crops seem to have been
untouched despite there being quite a collection of slugs underneath
the wood when I do the rounds.

dead slugs or alive slugs?

Has anyone got any suggestions or tips as to how to use this product
(since I am not following the instructions shown on the container) ?

the common methods i hear about which don't involve
ferric sulphate are to use the boards to have the slugs
go underneath and then in the morning to come out and
flip the boards over so that the birds can get at them
or to drown them in some yeasty smelling liquid which
attracts them. the other approaches are to use a
barrier around the plants (copper strips seem to be
recommended the most, with the prices of copper it
might be worth learning about and creating some
copper strips from another base metal and copper
plating the outer layer).

i've had a few slugs on things here, but i figure that
since they are not eating much i don't try to control
for them. the frogs, toads, snakes and birds seem to be
keeping up with them.

songbird