Old 22-09-2015, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Using ferric phosphate on slugs

geordief wrote:
Bob F;1016242 Wrote:

Are the slugs you are finding there dead?

Yes I am fairly sure they are dead or very sick (I take no chances
and I kill them with a stanley blade but I think they are nearly all
moribund)

Now I would much prefer it if I could just scatter the pellets in a
reasonable way as it advises on the container but no one has told the
birds/mice or whatever to please leave them for the slugs.

At this stage of the season there is no longer so much in the garden
to protect but I feel (for my circumstances = over run with slugs and
without any real dry weather ) that I will have to continue with this
(and other complementary methods).

I can't really bring myself to use metaldehyde as I fear that it
could be damaging wild life (although I wonder if there are not ways
of using it to prevent that happening )

I quickly found that the ferric phosphate product gets cleaned up by birds
unless it is hidden.

I wonder if you'r get similar results without the product. Your method of laying
boards and killing the slugs under them every morning is a well known way to
control slugs.