Old 22-09-2015, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Making a sempervivum sphere- wet or dry foam core?

On 13/09/2015 10:30, miljee wrote:
'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;1016118']On 12/09/15 13:07, miljee wrote:-

.... Thanks for any advice!-

Whatever you choose, you don't have to make the sphere solid. The
sempervivums will grow in a few cm of oasis, sphagnum, or whatever you
choose. The inside can be made from a ball of polystyrene, which will
drastically reduce the weight.

--

Jeff

Thanks, I will go for the 'dry' polystyrene ball, I think.

Or you could try crumbling wet oasis into compost (multipurpose/cacti)
and planting into that, to gain the best of both worlds. Or,indeed, if
you have enough plant material, try a couple of methods and see how they
work. I, for one, would be very interested in any subsequent report on
your success/failure. Most interesting.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London