Old 25-09-2015, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Using ferric phosphate on slugs

geordief wrote:
Bob F;1016253 Wrote:

I quickly found that the ferric phosphate product gets cleaned up by
birds
unless it is hidden.

I wonder if you'r get similar results without the product. Your
method of laying
boards and killing the slugs under them every morning is a well known
way to
control slugs.

No I don't think so (not unless the slug problem is fairly minor in
the first place).

Yes I have been also using the board method before I started using FP
pellets.In my opinion it works much better with the pellets . But I
still kill the slugs when I see them to be doubly sure.

Perhaps when I gain confidence all that will be necessary will be to
make sure that the plants are not getting damaged (and then I will
just leave the slugs to die)

Another interesting experiment would be to leave them alone and see if they stay
there dead. That would indicate that the additional work might not be needed.