Old 29-09-2015, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Flower ID?

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 08:11:16 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 18:51:23 -0700
"David E. Ross" wrote:

snip
I cannot grow peonies in my climate. The winters are too mild. The
last time I saw peonies growing and blooming was seven years ago in
Delaware and Pennsylvania. Thus, I could not remember how the leaves
look.

I was looking for a photo to show my neighbor yesterday and came across
these:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-1.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-2.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-3.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-4.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-5.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-6.jpeg

Nothing special really but thought you might enjoy seeing them again

We've had these peonies ever since I can remember, probably ~50 years...

Nice photos. I like peonies and they grow very well here in the
Catskills, plus deer don't eat them, but I don't plant any as their
flowers don't last more than about a week before their weight tends to
collapse the entire plant unless very well supported... for most of
the growing season a peony bed is just a jumble of non descript green
shrubs that require a lot of weeding. My next door neighbor has over
100 peony plants in a large bed that was planted when the house was
first built, about 1890. He's always offering me some but I tell him
no thank you, I'd rather enjoy yours.