Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Rotting Banana mixed into soil

Boron Elgar wrote:
These comments about "polluted" municipal compost are indeed food
for thought and I will ask the City about the issue. But I wonder
whether treating yard waste at the high temperatures they say
wouldn't be enough to "kill" or neutralize the bad things cited on
this thread.

You need a certain sustaining of temp to encourage decomposition but
not so hot that you kill off the good microorganisms, but I have never
seen anything that says composting destroys garden chems. I am happy
to read any articles about it, though.

Seattle and LA apparently had problems with one chemical.
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/dec/27/local/me-18323