Old 09-10-2015, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default cucumbers, onions, etc.

On 10/9/2015 8:44 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Every time I think fall is actually here Ma Nature messes things up. Got
up to 71F this morning and here it is 1300 CST and the repeating
thermometer says it is over 90F out there. Bah! Humbug! Doe season is
open though.

Same here. Teevee weather geeks are going on about a cold front
and highs in low-mid 80's for the weekend. Wow: Autumn weather....
Nights have been in mid-low 70's for a couple of weeks, though; a sign
of things to come AWA a big cue to get some more stuff planted for the
fall. Plus, there's no way that I have enough firewood on hand. I find
actually _buying_ the stuff embarassing but it wouldn't be the first
time and I find handing a little year-end bonus money to a local tree
guy preferable to giving it to the Withlacoochee 'Lectric Co-op just for
a warm butt.

Lots of politicians out there screaming about "climate change." The
climate changes here about four times a year. Last fall we had a couple
of hail storms, not new to the area but everyone immediately screamed
"climate change, climate change." I would just appreciate a little cool
weather to cut back on the AC bill for a few months.

Wife won't let me move us back to the boonies as we are close to all the
kids, grands and great grands. There is so much traffic noise here that
it goes on 24-7. I miss rural Louisiana and the peace, not to mention
better food in the restaurants.

We're still getting tomatoes, sweet chiles, and cucumbers. I think the
eggplant has finally given up the ghost. Fall carrots and chard are up
as are the beets. Just a couple of cabbage plants out there and not
going to be much else. Both freezers and the canning pantry are full, no
need to grow a lot of stuff this fall. Now if I can convince my lovely
wife that we don't really need to plant more.

Vote coming up here in Texas next month to lower taxes on senior
citizens. I will vote as often as I can get by with. G Years ago Texas
exempted folks 65 and older from school taxes, we left for many years
and come back to 65 and older get taxed just like everyone else. To many
people having to many kids probably.