Old 09-10-2015, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default cucumbers, onions, etc.

On 10/9/2015 3:18 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Lots of politicians out there screaming about "climate change." The
climate changes here about four times a year. Last fall we had a couple
of hail storms, not new to the area but everyone immediately screamed
"climate change, climate change." I would just appreciate a little cool
weather to cut back on the AC bill for a few months.

I would remind you: "There's no business like show business...."

Wife won't let me move us back to the boonies as we are close to all the
kids, grands and great grands. There is so much traffic noise here that
it goes on 24-7. I miss rural Louisiana and the peace, not to mention
better food in the restaurants.

So, throw out the teevee, pool your resources and take them all
with you. I know, that's a terribly '60's notion, isn't it?

I was a growed up ex-sailor in the sixties, with kids, a good job, and
ten acres to look after. I expected my kids to grow up and move away but
didn't expect that when I was old I would have to move close to them.
We're still getting tomatoes, sweet chiles, and cucumbers. I think the
eggplant has finally given up the ghost. Fall carrots and chard are up
as are the beets. Just a couple of cabbage plants out there and not
going to be much else. Both freezers and the canning pantry are full, no
need to grow a lot of stuff this fall. Now if I can convince my lovely
wife that we don't really need to plant more.

I didn't raise tomatoes or eggplant in 2015, never grow chard or
beets, and only rarely cabbage. Too early for carrots: Not enough
consistently cool temperatures yet. Sure enough warm weather stuff is
finishing up and I'm making the transition. I can plant generic
"greens" and English peas now because nights are temperate and the
weather'll be cooler by the time they're due to produce. Time, too—a
little late, actually—to plant onions to be transplanted in December or
January. Be planting an "early" broccoli awa carrots RSN, though. We
don't can anything or dehydrate much but do keep a stash of ingredients
along with prepared dishes in the freezer. Not exactly prepared for an
apocalypse, though. My wife and I enjoy fresh in-season garden truck so
I try to keep something coming in year-'round.

We have so much frozen and canned stuff we really don't need another BIG
fall garden. Dear wife is a middle child of five and is always afraid
the big and little siblings will get all the food. G I would just as
soon leave the winter garden alone and build up the mix in the raised
beds for spring/summer. Ain't gonna happen here. I just ignore it, go to
the library, do the grocery shopping, go fishing once in awhile, maybe
get a little deer and hog hunting in this fall and winter. I can live
with it, just don't like all the noise and traffic.

Note: I only eat pickled beets, do eat chard as it is my favorite green,
will eat some broccoli but not a whole plant at once. I like English
peas and about any kind of pea or bean, a little cabbage is good, a lot
is not. We grew so darned much eggplant this year the neighbors were
locking their doors and turning off the lights if they saw us coming
with a bag.