Old 14-10-2015, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Climbing bean or runner beans?

On 13/10/2015 19:30, Chris wrote:
Climbing bean or runner beans?
How to choose between them if room for only one?
Which are more productive?

Depends on the season. In a decent warm year I reckon you get much
better cropping off the more vigorous tall climbing beans. And
potentially in a smaller space since they go upwards.

This year the summer here was so cold and a late frost or two scuppered
them so that my non climbing beans competing with nearby spuds were way
taller than the climbing beans until September. In a decent warm year I
reckon the climbers will win but not this year - they barely got going.

The non-climbers also succumbed to a black rot of beans inside the pods
due I suspect to a combination of damp and cold.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown