Old 18-10-2015, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default where has everybody gone?

"Vir Campestris" wrote

Christina Websell wrote:
The death knell was when UK
ISP's stopped supporting it

Not all of them. And it's on my requirements list if I should change.

There are also some free news providers.

There are? I know of only one, I tried teranews and they took my one off
money and a few weeks later closed their free server, nice.

I think the death of newsgroups started with the rise in web based mail. In
the old days you had to configure an email client program to do emails and
within those programs were the words "Newsgroups", even in Outlook Express,
and, as I did, you clicked on it and found out about them. With web based
mail you never see the word Newsgroups so new internet users have never
heard of them and even if they did would have no idea how to get to them.
Computers no longer come with a suitable program (or should I say app).

As you all know I use Windows Live Mail (part of the Windows Live Essentials
download) and it works OK with a little help from AutoHotkey and WinQuotefix
which still work in Win 10.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.