Old 23-10-2015, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default OT spiders

On 22/10/2015 22:26, Christina Websell wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 17:49:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message

I have struggled with fear of spiders all my life but it's not their
fault,
it's mine.

I don't think it's anyone's fault. It's an instinctive thing that's hard
wired into our brains from way back.
I've trained myself to pick them up by closing my hand over them. They
freeze and play dead, which makes it a whole lot easier. Dustpan and
brush
works well too IME

I absolutely could not pick a big spider up with my bare hand although
picking up moths and beetles to put them outside is not a problem.
Haven't tried the dustpan and brush, probably won't in case it runs over
my
hand. I can't do the glass and cardboard method either. Because even
though
I know it's safely in the glass if it runs up it into my hand, I drop it.
My favourite and current method is the big fluffy towel, gather them up in
it and flap it outside.

A good few years ago, we had a cat who loved to eat them. If there was
a spider in the bath, SWMBO would put the cat in with it and within
moments the spider would be eaten.

--

Chris

My cat eats spiders (even huge ones) that appear in my house.
Even if he's asleep on my lap, he notices spiders and jumps off my lap and
gets them. Chomp.

I think my Panther would be more impressed if juicy prawns were
scuttling across the carpet! She's more of a monster mouser.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London