Old 26-10-2015, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Redwood vs clay planter?

On 10/25/2015 12:54 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

I need to repot a young pomegranate tree; planter cracked. Not ready
to put it in the ground yet; maybe not at all; depends on redesign of
area.

Very large planters are pricey, so wondered if large redwood planter
would do the trick. Any experience out there?

TIA

HB

I had three dwarf citrus in redwood tubs. These were cylendrical
instead of tapered, about 20 inches across and equally deep. After a
while, either the redwood would rot or else the steel straps would rust
through.

I repotted the dwarf lemon about three times. The navel orange and
kumquat about once; they were newer than the lemon. Then I had trouble
locating new redwood tubs. My drawf citrus are now in clay pots. These
are tapered, about 22 inches across at the top and equally deep.

As I recall, you are in southern California. Avoid plastic pots. They
will get hot in the sun and cook the pomegranate's roots. Clay pots and
redwood tubs (if you can find them) will stay cool as long as the
potting mix inside remains moist.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see