Old 26-10-2015, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Ferrous Sulphate query

On 23/10/2015 20:24, Malcolm Race wrote:
On 23/10/2015 20:08, Frank Booth wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 18:00:07 +0100, "Frank Booth"
wrote:

Applications for Iron Sulphate
Moss Killer / Control - Iron (II) Sulphate is very effective at
controlling moss on your lawn. To use, apply 5-10g of solid crystals
direct to each 1m2 of Lawn. Only apply solid product when its raining
or about to rain; if not dissolve 5-10g in 1 litre of water and apply.

Hi,

I visited the Intralabs website before I posted as I will be buying
FeS04.7H20 from them. And they suggest the rate you mentioned. But go to
other websites and they recommend a much stronger solution than that
for the
same product for killing moss, eg 1.4 kg to 15 L water (to treat 500sq
m.)which is over 90 gm/litre, about 9 times the top rate of concentraion
suggested by Intralabs. So I'm still confused.

http://www.thelawnshop.co.uk/online-...s-24/soluble-s

ulphate-of-iron-for-moss-control-12-detail

The range of concentrations where it works is fairly wide.

You see a more rapid effect with higher concentrations but it is
wasteful and you can get away with less and a bit of patience. Be aware
that any spillage onto paths will result in permanent rusty stains.

You will scorch the grass if you dose it too hard - same with lawn sand
which is the way I use it.

I have used this effectively for a number of years. The moss turns
black within minutes. You could use a mix with a similar quantity of
Sulphate of ammonia added to sct as a 'green up' fertiliser

Malcolm

Although it is best applied in the spring. The fertiliser component will
wash away ineffectively during the wet winter months.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown