Old 29-10-2015, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default Green tomatoes?

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 23:30:47 -0000,
Frank Booth wrote:
My mother used to wrap them in newspaper and put them in a drawer. Ripe by
Christmas. Otherwise it's chutney.

Put them in a paper bag with an apple and pop the bag into a drawer. They
will ripen within 3 weeks at room temperature. The ethylene gas emitted by
the apple does the ripening job.

I put mine in a « garde-manger », whatever that is in English..: a tiny
cupboard, probably always with a fine metal mash in front, put in a dry,
cool and mostly dark place.
Two techniques worked:
- wrapped in newspaper
- covered by a small cardboard box

No bananas or apples whatsoever. They are ripening like this, although
each individual appears to take an arbitrary time to get red.
Also, I have a doubt about what we call “ripening”. Does it really do
that? Is the color really an indication of “ripeness”? I admit that the
red tomatoes are also getting softer, but they lack flavour in
comparison to those that I picked directly from the plant.

If someone came along telling me: “Na. They are only redder, not any riper”
I will just accept that.

Michael
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France