Old 30-10-2015, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Green tomatoes?

"Michael Uplawski" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

For us the waste is the money, time and effort making stuff neither of us
like and then throwing it away.

One of my wife's uncles provides us with delicious marmelade in
arbitrary volume, because for many years his health-condition does not
permit him to eat it himself... but then again. He has given us an
earthing-cable, too, several meshes which serve as sieves in the garden,
many cherries, prunes, scions, some of the cables, that I use for the
lighting in the stable, switches, fuse-box elements, another maple-tree
and a lot more stuff, that he does not want to see perish.

There is a way, I'd say.

Don't see how? We know no-one that would want green tomatoes, in fact few
that ever want anything we grow, they would rather have it pre
washed/prepared and beautiful (but tasteless) from a supermarket. The
exceptions seems to be butternut squash, chillies and garlic, we actually
get asked for them.

Runner beans are something else we throw away when we have a glut, only one
of our neighbours will take any and only occasionally, we came to the
conclusion they are too difficult to prepare and, of course, some have never
seen them before as it is a British veg and they have no idea how to deal
with them.
Tried the local food bank a couple of years ago but they don't want fresh
produce.

It's just a waste of my time wandering about trying to convince people to
take stuff I know they don't want, I would much rather just recycle it on
the compost heap then everyone is relaxed and happy.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.