Old 31-10-2015, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - computer question

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
On 10/31/15 10:22, Charlie Pridham wrote:

The machine is probably OK, but it is more likely to be a hardware
than a software problem. The fact that it crashes is because error
recovery code is broken more often than not.

Firstly, if you have never checked your backups, don't trust them.
You need to check that they can be recovered from and contain the data
you need at intervals, and every time you upgrade your system. But
that's for next time.

What do you mean by card slots, and do you have a CDROM/DVD drive?
If so, the simplest technical approach is to boot a Linux system in
recovery mode, and see what devices are broken. If that's too tricky
for you, you need a competent shop or person to do it for you. Great
skill is NOT needed, but nor are people with Dunning-Kruger.

If it is what I think, it might be possible to replace a component or
add a daughter board - it depends on your machine - and dropping the new
disk into a new machine would definitely work. But it would be better
to copy the disk or get it copied, as disks don't last for ever and
newer ones are bigger.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you Nick, sounds as if once I have the new machine I should be able to
sort something out.

Card slots, I meant I have a range of card slots on this machine to take SD,
MMC, XD, T-F, MS, and MD cards along with a single USB 2.0, these all sit
where you would normally find the 3.5" floppy, I have two further USB's on
the front and 4 more at the rear , the ones at the rear are straight off the
motherboard and marked "USB Lan", the ones at the front have a different
connection but still plug direct to the mother board, but none will register
any form of extended memory, yet all work fine running a printer, wireless
mouse/keyboard etc.

Its all very vexing, especially as it started after shutting down and moving
the office around (Which wasn't my idea in the first place!)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs