Old 31-10-2015, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default expanded strawberry patch

On 10/31/2015 04:29 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/31/2015 4:06 PM, T wrote:
On 10/31/2015 08:40 AM, George Shirley wrote:

dewberries

Made me look that one up. I thought you were joking at first,
but then found them on Wikipedia. They said they grow in
northern clims.

How do you think they would do in Northern Nevada: freezing
winters (20 to 30F), hot summers (90-100F), and very low
humidity ( 10%), and one particular back thumb wannabe
Gardener?

And do the bugs leave them alone?

I know they grow down south, I live in Texas, heat zone 8b, dewberries
are everywhere. Lived in Maryland and Rhode Island, never saw a dewberry
in those. Visits to the upper tier of US didn't allow enough time to
look for them. If you like blackberries, you will love dewberries. Do a
Google search for dewberries, some plant stores have domesticated them
and have them available. Dewberries in our are are the first wild
berries to bear, usually in April/May followed by blackberries. Dewberry
cobblers, jellies, and jams are to die for.

Never found that many bugs on them, birds get the berries when they can
and, therefore, snakes hid in the berries to get the birds. Can scare
you bad enough to need to change your drawers. We always carry "snake"
sticks, usually an old broom stick, to pick up the vines and check for
boogers in the bushes. Small critters like the berries too, from mice up
to raccoons. Texas doesn't mow roadsides until after berry season so
that people can pick berries along the roadside. Not unusual to see
several cars parked where the berries are good.

I don't think they would do well in Northern Nevada at all but I could
be wrong, never been there that I remember. As a young sailor in the
flying Navy I traveled all over the US and lots of other places but
don't remember a Naval Air Station in that part of Nevada. What the
heck? Plant some in an area sheltered from the north wind and see what
happens. You could be the dewberry king of your area.

I am going to look into it! Thank you!

Fallon (home of Fallon Navel Air Stations) grows world class
melons. I can't grow one for my life. They are about 1000
feet lower in elevation though.