Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ever get the feeling you should just give up?

On 11/01/15 15:55, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Lintama" wrote

Sweet peppers......not at all sweet. I nurtured and did everything
right that I can see and my peppers taste.....well just awful. In fact
maybe a tiny bit bitter.

My hot chillies are fine but the sweet peppers are small and green and
yuk!

It's been that sort of year, ours in the greenhouse are only now growing
fruit and the ones out on the allotment have done nothing at all. I
think it was the cool and very up and down spring and early summer which
held them back.

For some reason, sweet peppers are much more sensitive to temperature
than (most) hot peppers. I believe that Capsicum chinensis (Scotch
bonnet, habanero etc.) are also sensitive, but I don't like their taste,
so have never tried growing them. I tried sweet peppers, once, and had
zero set, so gave up. This year has been dire, and I had failures even
on fairly reliable vegetables.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.