Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Green tomatoes?

On 31/10/2015 10:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
This year we had a glut of dessert apples (since identified as Laxton's
Fortune), so I put a couple of kilos in poly bags and left them on a
chair outside with the notice "Free apples - please take a bag". All 18
bags went in a couple of days. Much better than just chucking them on
the compost heap.

We've got loads of the best ones stored for eating. The second best went
for stewing (and despite giving some away the freezer is pretty full).
3rd best - it turned out next door has a cider press. over 20 litres
from just one tree. The 4th grade have gone in the compost.

They've turned out to be Fiesta. I'm slightly disappointed - I hoped
they'd be something rare/old/local. Maybe a Histon Favourite

Andy