Old 03-11-2015, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Drift Away [WAS] from today's forecast...

On 11/3/2015 12:32 PM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Rich soil and lots of water, any kind of eggplant or squash needs lots
of water. We have raised beds and they dry out quickly so everything
gets watered at least daily. Right now by hose and sprinkler as the
soaker hose's sucked and cracked quickly. I'm thinking seriously of drip
lines now.

In 2009, I began gardening in pre-existing beds using soaker hoses
that are fabricated from tires. Mistake; enough said ;-) At any rate,
2011-2012 I made the transition to 1 gal/hr/ft @15psi (non-compensating)
dripline. Wish I'd done so sooner.

Unsolicited Totally Anecdotal Tips:

Up to 20-25 feet, non-compensating emitters provide more evenly
distributed flow with a 15psi supply at both ends of the tube;

Filtration is an absolute necessity;

A small supply of individual barbed ½ gph (red&black) emitters is
useful;

Low priced handy homeowner hose-end pressure regultors work well
individually but are more effective in tandem;

Dividing beds into at least two zones adds flexibility to the watering
schedule;

Locate dripline _under_ coarsely textured mulch but it may be in or on
top of finely textured mulch;

A hose-end countdown timer is a great convenience;

Some kind of timer or alarm is necessary to minimize the effects of OFS
and "hereafter".

Thanks Derald, first hand help beats the hell out of ads on line. Was in
the local Lowe's this morning and they seem to have all I need in the
way of emitter gear. Starting to cool off so probably will start on that
and the new fence project plus painting the interior of the house. We've
decided that in our mid seventies it is time to hire some hands for the
big jobs and it would take us a lot longer to do the job than hired hands.