Old 04-11-2015, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Davej Davej is offline

Default expanded strawberry patch

On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 9:25:17 AM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
Davej wrote:
I gave up on strawberries for years because they quickly turn
into weed patches. Now I am hopeful that I may be able to grow
a few of them in large pots. I'm not sure how well that will
work but I'm going to give it a try.

depends upon the garden location, but i've yet
to see any garden that didn't need some weeding.
the expansion patch is surrounded by crushed
rinsed limestone so it doesn't get that many weeds
in it.

in planters they'll need fairly regular watering
during dry spells, especially during flowering and
fruiting.

after a few years a strawberry patch should be
replanted/renovated anyways.

some folks use weed barrier fabric or black
plastic to keep the weeds down, but i've not done
that here as i'm letting most of my patches wander
around as gardens go through planting rotations.

songbird

Here the grass gets out of control easily, but in pots of
very loose, rich soil I could keep the plants weeded and
route the strawberry runners to new pots. I would probably
need to set the pots into pans of water. Also I need to
find something to scare the deer away. They are becoming
a serious problem even close to the house.