Old 05-11-2015, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default expanded strawberry patch

On 11/4/2015 9:04 PM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, October 31, 2015 at 10:40:54 AM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:

I don't particularly like strawberries but the Missus
likes them. I like blackberries, dewberries, etc. much
better.

How does the taste of a dewberry differ from a blackberry?

Has a lighter, brighter flavor to it in my opinion. In addition they are
the first wild berries to bloom and bear in the spring. Used to pick
wild huckle berries in the woods on my folks property when I was a small
boy (many, many moons ago). Haven't seen any since then in the wild.
Probably somewhere deep in the woods of SE Texas there are still some.

We harvested every wild berry or fruit we found back then. Persimmons,
wild grapes, muscadines, you name it. That's when I learned to preserve
the goodies in jars, still do that, have at least ten cases of fruit
jars, mostly empty now but when spring comes again we will be picking
the wild berries and turning them into jams, jellies, pie fillings, some
frozen for cobblers. We even ran upon pears and plums in the woods where
an old homestead had once stood. This is a great website for home food
preserving: http://nchfp.uga.edu/