Old 14-11-2015, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blaby tomato

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:40:34 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:36:44 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
m...
On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 23:39:36 +0000, Malcolm Race
wrote:

See Hugh Feranley-Whittingstall program on Food Waste - it should now
be
on i-Player

No thanks.

We aren't allowed to access iPlayer.

Yes, I know he is irritating, but it's worth watching. Try it and see
what
you think.

I read the comments in The Guardian about the factual errors in the
programme.
--

And he was in a supermarket taking some of the vegetables out of the
shopper's trolleys and throwing them away. When challenged, he said

He took some stuff away from an elderly woman and I'm not up for that (and
neither was she, by the look in her eyes). Had the cameras not been
there,
and she wasn't polite, I think she would have swiped him round the head.
I hope he reimbursed her. IME elderly people don't waste much food and
are
very good at using the last bit of everything because pensions don't go
far
plus they know how to cook.
I'm not quite elderly yet, but almost nothing foodwise is wasted here.
I'm
glad Hugh didn't try it with me.
Whilst it's a good idea to alert us to food waste, which is rife in the
people-who-earn-a-lot, taking veggies from a pensioner is beyond the pale.

There have been articles in the press and programmes on TV about wasted
food for
years.

We are both retired. We don't waste food. The generation that does
probably
doesn't watch programmes like this.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Nothing is wasted here but it's good idea for some folks to be reminded.
My black bin (non recycables)_ would take a year or more to fill up.
When they come to empty it every two weeks they say it's not worth tipping
it into the lorry because there nothing in it.