Old 14-11-2015, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blaby tomato

wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 09:32:18 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

I don't believe, at all, there there is any need for a supermarket to
insist
on a certain length or size of vegetable. I am sure that "wonky"
vegetables
would be quite acceptable to most people once they know how badly the
supermarket policy of perfect is affecting the farmers.

Not to side with the supermarkets, but they must have based that on what
was left on the shelves? Same happens for anything where you let the
customer self-select, e.g. look at all the banana-wood piled up in Wickes.

Soup makers should not be too worried about wonky vegetables so I
would have thought that could be an outlet for products who aren't
the plant equivalent of a supermodel. Judging by the demand for food
banks we'll soon have a need for as many soup kitchens as we can get.

ain't that just the truth. we have a trolley in the local supermarket for a
food bank and it's usually full. we are all only a few pay cheques away
from needing it. I put something in there every time I go there.
Because maybe what if it was me that needed it?