Old 16-11-2015, 02:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blaby tomato

"Janet" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

Martin wrote:

There have been articles in the press and programmes on TV about wasted
food for
years.

I agree, and I suspect the numbers on waste have been jiggered to include
the entire distribution chain. Fresh veggies have a lot of loss and
waste
just in the trimming. Years ago, I volunteered at a food co-op. We
charged double the wholesale price for produce, and that was just about
break-even.
Of course, we "mature" frugal types make soup/stock/compost with the
trimmings, so it isn't _really_ wasted!

I don't know anyone in the UK baby-boom generation who does throw
stuff away; we were brought up with food rationing, "make do and mend"
and "passing it on" etc and those habits were ingrained in us. We're the
Squirrel Generation of savers, recyclers, menders, skipdivers,ironers of
wrapping paper, knotters of used string, etc.

Janet.

Ain't that just the truth. I only get a black bin (non-recyclables) empty
every two weeks, and the dustbinmen now look inside it to see if it's worth
the trouble of picking it up. It never is.
Although I say it myself, I rarely waste anything. I'm very good with food.
Bought a poisson on it's sell by date for £1., roasted it for a nice meal,
then used the rest of it to make soup with carrots and onions & herbs which
did lunch for for two days, plus the skin and stuff that was wasn't eatable
when I was picking the bones made a meal for my cat. I did however put the
bones in the bin.
Any veg trimmings go to my hens who turn them into eggs. I can't remember
the last time I wasted any food.