Old 16-11-2015, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default turnips

On 11/16/2015 03:25 PM, songbird wrote:
i haven't looked at them in a while and so when
putting some gardens up for the winter i pulled
some to throw in the holes along with the dry
stuff to give the worms some wet and green stuff
to work on while the dry stuff gets wetted down.

a few of the turnips were large, some larger
than i could fit my hands around (i have an
eight inch stretch) and that was yesterday,
today there was one about twice that size and
then after thinking i was done i noticed one
crouched over to the side. it was about a foot
and a half across... when burying it i chopped
it with the shovel and it was hollow in spots.

i dunno what is normal for turnips, but
we're sending one of the smaller of the large
ones with the ones i'd consider normal to the
friend who likes some to cook with. i hope
she'll give me some feedback on how large she'd
like them to be at the maximum, so i don't
waste my time picking ones that she won't eat.

still i can see why someone would grow these
as animal fodder. the deer and rabbits mostly
ignore them and focused on eating the beets and
some of the strawberries (and of course the
plantains).

turnips certainly smell like beer when they
ferment... Ma says they'd make beer from any-
thing. these days i can believe it.

that's it for the news today, all gardens
are now put up for the winter and it's into
puttering and finishing up a few renovation
projects in the gardens. still, it's been a
good year.

the weather is turning more mixed after
tomorrow. i don't suppose we'll see 70sF
again but the past few days have made it into
the 60sF and that's perfect for digging and
being outside.

songbird

I tried growing and eating turnips one year. Oh my.
The tasted metallic. They were tongue under the
faucet bad. YUK!