Old 17-11-2015, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Beech hedge

On 18/11/2015 7:02 AM, Floss wrote:
Hi all, I've just planted beech trees for hedging in a double staggered
row, they are around 4ft tall at present. I would like the final height
to be around 6ft. Did I read somewhere I need to remove the top leading
bud from the plants or should I leave them untill the desired height of
6ft is reached before cutting?

The way to train a hedge is to always cut it back form the time it is
tiny and just gradually let it grow a bit higher each time. The action
of cutting it back on top and sides makes it thicken up ad not shoot up
and look thin.

But for real info on beech hedges, yuo might be better off asking your
question in uk.rec.gardening which is the newsgroup that specifically
covers UK gardening rather than this newsgroup that is more
international in nature.