Old 17-11-2015, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default turnips

On 11/17/2015 10:48 AM, Derald wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

George Shirley wrote:
On 11/16/2015 5:25 PM, songbird wrote:

the weather is turning more mixed after
tomorrow. i don't suppose we'll see 70sF
again but the past few days have made it into
the 60sF and that's perfect for digging and
being outside.

songbird

I've never cared for turnips or mustard greens. Not real fond of beets
but will eat them occasionally, especially if they're pickled. My
folks loved turnips and mustard greens, probably from growing up very
poor and having to eat whatever was handy.

79F outside right now, was somewhat hotter during the day. Rain has
been threatening all day and now it's gone but supposed to be back
tomorrow. So much for weather forecasts.

It's 69° here right now , I had to put out the fire in our woodstove .
Raining heavily mixed with patches of lighter rain and expected to last
another 24 hours . From the looks of the radar it's going to be a wet day
here ... and I need to be laying block if this kitchen project is ever going
to get built .

84° high yesterday; 65° low last night; presently (11:27A) 83°; all
temps Farenheit. I'm beginning to wonder whether this place will get
long-enough "cool" growing season for some garden truck. I have peas
(Little marvel), peas (Wando—BTW: If anybody tries to tell you that
"Wando" peas are "heat tolerant", take your ball and go home), broccoli,
rapini, bak choi, mustard greens, turnips, cauliflower, carrots, all
sprouted but most of them just sitting there in the sun, marking time.
I am moderately envious of the rain some are enjoying; watering almost
daily here. The turnips and the mustards can handle the 80's
well-enough but the others are getting a bit whiney (whingey).

Update: the rain has stopped after giving us three inches, temperature
outside is now in the low fifties and is supposed to hit low forties
before daylight tomorrow and then the temps are going back up. We're in
a weather roller coaster for a few days.

Our fairly large family is getting together for Thanksgiving at eldest
grandson's place. Little bit of arguing on what to bring is spreading
across the internet. I think we're taking cornbread dressing and one of
Grannie's lemon meringue pie, the one she's renowned for in at least
three states and one foreign country. I'm just going to eat and then
take a nap. Two of us, daughter and husband, three grown grandchildren
plus a spouse each, six great grands, it is going to be noisy.