Old 21-11-2015, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storm Barney

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:24:03 -0000, "Muddymike"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 18/11/2015 10:49, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 10:39:11 +0000, divingbrit
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 23:24:53 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Feeling the full force of it where I live in the East Mids as we
speak.

Would agree its a tad brezzy here in Lincolnshire

Btw, who had the idea of naming them? Somehow it makes them seem
worse.

They were named after a public comp. We get a male and then a female
name alternatively. It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years) but that comment did come from a man!

Abigail (a big gale) was particularly appropriate, but the rest aren't
with the possible exception of Wendy (~windy?), if we ever get that
far down the list.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-...ame-our-storms

Just wait till we get hit by storm Christina.

LOL! If it's going to be alphabetical, that one could be next ;-)

It will be Clodagh then Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude Henry, Imogen, Jake.

Damn, I kind of wanted a Christina one.

Tina

It says on the met office web site linked to above, that "To ensure we
are in line with the US National Hurricane Centre naming convention,
we are not going to include names which begin with the letters Q, U,
X, Y and Z." Why ever not!? OK, so they want to maintain consistency
with official storm naming for the North Atlantic, but where did that
exclusion come from in the first place. What's wrong with names like
Quentin, Ulrich, Xavier, Yvonne and Zacharias, anyway? (Note, by
omitting Q, U, X, Y and Z, they've mucked up the M-F-M-F etc order,
but I'm sure suitable M-F names are available, as appropriate).

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales