Old 23-11-2015, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Default Goodbye with mixed feelings

On 11/22/2015 8:09 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:
On 17/11/2015 7:13 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:

I still think it is a medium superior to web forums, and for exactly
the same reasons that Facebook and such don't like it -- no one owns
Usenet.

Agreed. FB is a PITA.

I'm with you there. Signed up years ago at the insistance of overseas family
who prefer to post there than write emails and now only visit once a month
or less for maybe five minutes just to see who's hatched, been matched or
dispatched.

Yeah, I have kids and grands after me to sign up for Facebook but it
isn't going to happen. I ride a gardening group that is mastered out of
the U of Kentucky, been on it since around 1990. Otherwise UseNet for me
is rec.food.preserving, very low volume nowadays, and
rec.gardens.edible, which until lately, has also been low volume.

Used to run a gardening group on Yahoo Groups but people just kept
leaving it so I left too. I think a large part of the internet
population has no idea what gardening and talking about gardening is all
about.

Supposed to be a light freeze tomorrow morning so we picked sweet chiles
and eggplant, probably for the last time this winter. Winter garden is
coming along nicely, looks like the broccoli is starting make heads and
the cabbage is heading. Lots of salad mix and Swiss chard out there,
that was our dinner tonight. We're trying to eat better and lighter at
dinner time.