Old 23-11-2015, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Miles Frank Miles is offline

Default Winter Tomatoes

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:54:09 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

The game is on.

I have a very fancy-pants plant light installed and that I use for
seedlings in the spring. Well, I decided that I will grow tomatoes
this winter. I have planned to do cherries, figuring they'd be
easiest, but I discovered a 16", well developed volunteer in one of
the deck pots as we were tidying up for end-of-season.

Problem is that I have no idea what it is. I can tell from the leaves
that it is an heirloom, but I grew several in the vicinity. I hope it
is one of the yummier ones.

We tend it carefully, using a cheap battery toothbrush to move around
the pollen. It is working. Right now there are about a dozen tomatoes
growing.

I have much to be thankful for.

I've long wondered whether this would be worth doing. Please keep us
informed as to your experiment's outcome, and what you've learned!

{and I hope your volunteers are better than mine}